Our History 1977-1987
Valleys Kids first started working in probation and with disadvantaged and deprived young people. The first 10 years would see the expansion into working with junior club, babies and toddlers. The work also expanded from probation to prevention and also started to introduce the Arts as a medium for self expression.
- Work with young people developed with the opening of an “Open Door” youth Club.
- The first summer play scheme organised.
- Moved to Cross Street.
- Junior Youth Club for 5-11 year olds opened.
- Parent and Toddler Group started.
- Donated Soar by the congregation.
- Initiated policy of integrating children with special needs.
- In partnership with Education and Social Services established the Intermediate Treatment Centre for adolescents at risk.
- Founder members and chair of Rhondda Play Forum.
- One of the first volunteers appointed as youth worker.
- Visits to the Project from Lord Hunt and Prince Charles
- Helped develop Rhondda Play Project to support community groups throughout Rhondda run play provision.
- Founder members and chair of Rhondda Community Development Forum.
- Using the Local Labour Club we brought the first Professional Community Theatre Company to the Project.
- Care and custody for young people experimental scheme established with Welsh Office funding.
- Volunteers working in chapel getting it ready for the opening.
- Running day-to-day activities in Cross Street